Wednesday, May 11, 2005

David Levithan


I remember first reading Boy Meets Boy during the furious reading year that I was on the Quick Picks committee. At first I wasn't sure what to make of it. I mean, come on, drag queens in high school? But then I just relaxed and went with it, and really enjoyed the ride.
That's how I approached Are We There Yet. Some friends of mine have criticized it as being too convenient in it's poignancy. But I just enjoyed the writing, and I loved the characters. Since I was reading the ARC I meant to underline some passages that I found moving, or that gave me pause...but I didn't want to stop reading to search out a pencil!
I was fortunate enough to hear the author read a passage from Realms of Possibility that was also amazing.
I don't like to gush. Really I don't. And that is not what I am trying to do here. I am not sure that Are We There Yet will find its audience with YAs...but as an adult reader I truly enjoyed it.
4 stars

No comments: