Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Love Curse of the Rumbaughs


Now. This is my kind of book. Creepy. Odd. Super-well-written. And, in my opinion, overlooked.

Ivy was always drawn to the twins. Ab and Dolph were identical. Pharmacists. Taxidermists. Elderly.

It has always been Ivy and her mom. She went to the twins place afterschool, in the hours before her mother came home from work. She had a play area in the basement, but little did Ivy know that her cottage of oversized pharmacy props were not the only things existing in the basement.

Then on the fateful Easter that Ivy was 7, she made a discovery that would alter her perception forever. What she discovers in the twin's basement is horrific, yet appealing to Ivy.

What follows is a true gothic story. Without giving too much away, all I can say is that pages 177 and 180 are truly stupifying. In a rueful smile way. Am I making any sense?

I do know that there was a bit of a discussion about this title on adbooks. I steered clear since I knew I wanted to read this title. This is one of those books like Funny Little Monkey and 33 Snowfish that elicits extreme reaction. I think that Gantos has outdone himself. This is simply brilliant!

No comments: